Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Cake article from Bagpuss...
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 05 9:15 pm    Post subject: Cake article from Bagpuss... Reply with quote

Can be found here: https://www.downsizer.net/Projects/Cookery/The_easiest_sponge_cake_in_the_world/ With splendid pix of a KitchenAid, rather than those nasty Kenwoods
Questions and suggestions here please...

bagpuss

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 05 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to a recent good food magazine artcle I have a few other variations to post but that can wait till tommorrow

nettie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 05 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Bagpuss

Gertie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 05 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B*gger, there goes the diet

Nice article, Bagpuss!

Gai

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 05 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks yummy Bagpuss. The temperature thingy on my gas oven has stopped working so have you any recipes for cakes baked at flamethrower level or gas mark 8. I've got a real craving for pistachio's now too.

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 05 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenwoods rock!

Does this method give a denser cake than using the traditional victoria sponge method, or isn't it that noticeable?

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 05 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonnyboy wrote:
Kenwoods rock!

Especially my metallic purple limited edition...

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 05 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not going to post a photo of it again are you?

bagpuss

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 05 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonnyboy wrote:
Kenwoods rock!

Does this method give a denser cake than using the traditional victoria sponge method, or isn't it that noticeable?

this doesn't produce the lightest sponge the the world but it also isn't heavy. The ones I make tend to be quite moist and crumbly and far superior to the bathroom sponge like shop bought ones. I think the use of self raising flour and baking powder helps a lot in that regard and is what makes the mixture more forgiving

If you want a really light sponge you need to break the recipe up a bit and use marg and superfine flour

Make sure all your ingredients are at room temperature as for a very light sponge its more important

first beat the butter/marg and sugar together untill white and fluffy, this will take 5-10 minutes.

Then beat in each egg one at a time, trying to be careful not to over beat the mixture

Then sift in any dry ingredients and fold them in relatively gently so as not to lose any air in the mixture

This will produce a lighter sponge but I don't think in the end its worth the extra effort

PS Tahir, my kitchenaids better than your kenwood

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 05 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might do, there's not many things I'd boast about but a metallic purple limited edition Kenwood Chef is well worth getting excited about....(I won't mention how sad KitchenAid owners are)

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 05 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bagpuss wrote:
Jonnyboy wrote:
Kenwoods rock!

this doesn't produce the lightest sponge the the world but it also isn't heavy. The ones I make tend to be quite moist and crumbly and far superior to the bathroom sponge like shop bought ones. I think the use of self raising flour and baking powder helps a lot in that regard and is what makes the mixture more forgiving

If you want a really light sponge you need to break the recipe up a bit and use marg and superfine flour

Make sure all your ingredients are at room temperature as for a very light sponge its more important

first beat the butter/marg and sugar together untill white and fluffy, this will take 5-10 minutes.

Then beat in each egg one at a time, trying to be careful not to over beat the mixture

Then sift in any dry ingredients and fold them in relatively gently so as not to lose any air in the mixture

This will produce a lighter sponge but I don't think in the end its worth the extra effort

Flip that was quick reply.

That's how I do my victorias. To be honest I prefer a lighter sponge if it's just to go with a good raspberry jam, but if I'm adding cocoa powder or other flavourings then a moister, denser sponge is better.

I feel a carrot cake coming on.

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 05 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bagpuss wrote:

I take that as an affront to myself and all the other Chef owners out there as well as the memory of Ken Wood, my Uncle Ted (who was a designer at Kenwood) and all those hard working people that used to make Chef's in Hampshire until all the foreign muck started popping up. So ner! (did I spell that right?)

Gertie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 05 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Kenwood Chef!

bagpuss

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 05 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gai wrote:
Looks yummy Bagpuss. The temperature thingy on my gas oven has stopped working so have you any recipes for cakes baked at flamethrower level or gas mark 8. I've got a real craving for pistachio's now too.

For pistachios in a cake but not a good oven you could always try a no bake cake with pistachios in it

You could try adapting recipes for something like panforte an italian nut cake

there are two recipes from ukfood here and here

They recipes use mostly hazelnuts and almonds but adding it pistachios may work

Alternatively this is an indian sweet meat which uses pistachios

bagpuss

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 05 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
bagpuss wrote:

I take that as an affront to myself and all the other Chef owners out there as well as the memory of Ken Wood, my Uncle Ted (who was a designer at Kenwood) and all those hard working people that used to make Chef's in Hampshire until all the foreign muck started popping up. So ner! (did I spell that right?)

Ner to you to, while they are few and far between (no offence of course to any americans reading you have a fine country) there are just somethings the americans do better and stand mixers are one of them

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive