Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Solar Cooker

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 24 2:22 pm    Post subject: Solar Cooker Reply with quote

I have a faint memory that once upon a time Himself made a solar cooker for me. Did a search here on Downsizer but nothing on solar cookers came up. Perhaps the climate is not suitable?

Why has this come to my mind? Daughter and son-in-law have bought a tiny, 768 sq ft cabin in Colorado as a vacation get-away. Rustic, to say the least - listing indicated it had 3/4 of a bathroom - there's an outhouse and they use a bucket st night.

Their location in Colorado is rather arid, at 6,600 ft elevation, near many huge scenic areas. Out there our daughter is trying to be stingy with electricity. I had the idea that a solar cooker might be just the thing.

Solar cooker is supposedly able to reach similar temps to a slow cooker. No good for high heat stir fly, no good unless the sun is shining. Simple materials at its most basic - cardboard, piece of glass or plexiglass, some insulation, black paper, tape.

Here's a picture of one from a local green fair back in 2013.

Any experience with a solar cooker, comments, suggestions? TIA for your thoughts.

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 24 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

handy for slow cooking if the sun shines and you ensure that the food has reached a safe temp(electric probes are cheap and effective)

is there any bio fuel? frass and twigs, dried dung, timber? etc? available

for personal/family off grid cooking, my choice is now wood gasification stove and gillie kettle

re pans etc, steel wok, cast iron pot(+hay box or i spose "solar haybox"), skillet, steel mug*

best kit i have used real world in assorted "settled" circumstances

technical but simple, and they work all year round, not expensive, my stove and gillie kettle were less than $100, and they work with assorted fuels

*if moving, the gasification stove and a pint mug are plenty and very light

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive