Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Locking threads that aren't abusive
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions
Author 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 08 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats kind of what I ment when I commented, but for once I did actually say what I felt

Brownbear

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 08 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bebo wrote:
I kind of agree about the place seeming a bit cliquey (especially if you don't live in Wales!). I've never been described as being reticent about making my views known, but there are times when I keep shtum because I know that what I say won't be appreciated. More often though its a feeling that any input I make will be just ignored. But maybe thats just down to plain old fashioned self-esteem issues rather than cliqueness!

Well what you say might be ignored - I'm sure 9/10 of what is written is ignored by about 3/4 of the posters here. And some might think it's complete gibberish. But who is to say they're right, and why do you care anyway? Sod 'em.

Becki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 08 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you say something?

Silas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 08 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Probably 90% of posts are what I would term, well, boring. Often seems to me that some posters just like to post something - anything just so they can say they have posted. 80% of the threads I never read, it must be really bloody tedious to be a mod and have to read (with all due respect) lists of jobs that certain posters have to get done before dinner.

However, the remaining 10/20% are often very interesting, not always contentious, the thread about the poorly ex-bat chicken was really a nice one to read.

But, and this is the important thing, without the imput of the 80%, the forum would grind to a halt - so its hats off to the mods (well, some of them anyway) for bothering to do the job in the first place.

Nick

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 08 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silas wrote:
so its hats off to the mods (well, some of them anyway) for bothering to do the job in the first place.

Who are you, and what have you done with Silas?

Erikht

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 08 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wot Silas said.

cab

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 08 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
Silas wrote:
so its hats off to the mods (well, some of them anyway) for bothering to do the job in the first place.

He did say 'some of them', so don't panic, he's probably not being nice to you

bingo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 08 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Locking threads that aren't abusive Reply with quote

Stacey wrote:
Why?

Who decides what's interesting and what's not? Why is it any skin of the mods' noses if a debate rambles for a bit? Sometimes a thread loses impetus for a while only for someone to come along and inject a new idea or there are actual developments in the subject being discussed.

It comes across as very heavy handed and arrogant for a mod to just decide to lock a thread that doesn't actually go against the guidelines. Is this a community or a club for people 'in charge'?

This is why I don't post on here much anymore.

Well said Stacey.

Silas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 08 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
Silas wrote:

I did say some of them.

Bernie66

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 08 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning Silas

Silas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 08 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bernie66 wrote:
Morning Silas

Good morning to you too!

Rob R

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 08 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bebo wrote:
I kind of agree about the place seeming a bit cliquey (especially if you don't live in Wales!). I've never been described as being reticent about making my views known, but there are times when I keep shtum because I know that what I say won't be appreciated. More often though its a feeling that any input I make will be just ignored. But maybe thats just down to plain old fashioned self-esteem issues rather than cliqueness!

You can pretty much guarantee that your input won't be ignored- someone will find it useful & will read it (never ceases to amaze me how many people spend weeks/months just reading the forum before they join, so they must be getting something out of it).

Probably the thing that sets DS apart, I think, is that you can be completely at loggerheads with someone on a certain point one week & then not so long after they are quite willing to give you advice/offering to send you something they have in surplus. I hate the word cliquey (and I agree it must be a DS, I went many years without encountering the word & first came across it being used to describe DS) but it seems to work & you can get out as much as you put in.

Erikht

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 08 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But who does threads have to be non-abusive? I usually manage to find something abusive in every thread, if I am looking close enough. If we all showed some responsibility and abused our fellow men now and again, the mods can close the threads without all this fuss. I know they appreciate it when I am thoughtful like this.

alice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 08 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(
Quote:
never ceases to amaze me how many people spend weeks/months just reading the forum before they join, so they must be getting something out of it
).

Ooer! I joined and then lurked for about three years before I posted.
But then, I'm a shy little flower

Brownbear

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 08 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erikht wrote:
But who does threads have to be non-abusive? I usually manage to find something abusive in every thread, if I am looking close enough. If we all showed some responsibility and abused our fellow men now and again, the mods can close the threads without all this fuss. I know they appreciate it when I am thoughtful like this.

Get knotted, herring-pickler.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 18 of 22
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive